Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Mother

I recently just finished a book which encouraged me so much to learn to live thankful and grateful to the Lord instead of complaining or only seeing the things in life that needed fixed or what was 'wrong'. God has used this message 'to help me see' again. In the book she started a journal to write 1,000 'gifts' from God that she could be thankful for even in the midst of imperfection. I started my own journal after finishing the book and have been so blessed by this. It's not just a journal to write down things to be thankful for, but a way to learn how to see life from God's perspective because when we start looking for His gifts in our daily lives we start to see differently. Psalm 100:4
There are two specific things I would like to share that I put in my journal that have had such a tremendous affect in my life. The first entry is "The faith I have seen and learned in my mother's life." I have learned such an enduring faith from watching her life and it has been that faith that I try to both imitate and pass on to my own children. I am deeply thankful that Mom has walked with the Lord through severely difficult times and yet her faith has not faltered. Thank God for that example of faith and endurance. I am so humbled by her testimony and her life.
The other entry is "Mom's wedding ring." This past Christmas Mom and Dad decided to pass down their original wedding bands because of the arthritis in Mom's fingers kept the ring from going on her finger anymore. My parents have been married almost 50 years! Again, I was so humbled... I really can't even find the words to express what is in my heart every time I look down at my finger. I would have to write a whole book here to even begin to capture their life, marriage and faith. How blessed I have been as a daughter and my own children to see their life of commitment to the Lord. Thank God for that heritage of faith, roots. I have tried many times to really convey back to them how much this ring means to me and I just seem to not be able to find any words good enough. I wear it with the deepest respect and honor that can live in any heart. I love them both very much.
Mom, I love you. I deeply honor and respect you and pray that my faith will endure and my life will bring honor back to you. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments :

Post a Comment